Due to the recent floods throughout the United States, much of the nation has undergone harsh weather in recent months and literally countless people have experienced a deluge (rain or flooding) hit their own community! These storms have led to water damage impacting tens of thousands of homes. If this water damage is not dealt with very fast and professionally, then the inevitable outcome is going to be mold.
Molds are a very large collection of fungi. Mold spores are found everywhere around the world. But when molds are located indoors, they could damage or ruin the house, and they pose serious health concerns to persons living in this environment. People at high risk in these types of environments are such individuals: the very young or the very old, individuals who have pre-existing respiratory ailments like asthma or lung disease, persons that are already ill or are suffering from a chronic illness, etc.
Mold needs only three things to grow: (1) an organic food source such as timber, paper, cloth, leather, wool, etc.), (even dirt on inorganic substances has sufficient organic material to support mold growth); (2) a pleasant temperature range between 68º and 86º F, which is typical of most occupied buildings; and (3) adequate moisture that could come from a plumbing leak, water damage from a storm (or even large humidity). In most houses, the conditions are nearly ideal for mold to grow — there is just one required item that’s missing — water. If you now add water out of a storm, or another source, and you also do not deal with the water quickly and correctly, then mold WILL grow. Don’t let your loved ones take this risk.
Observing any water harm event, the best way to make certain that mold won’t begin to grow is to get in touch with a restoration specialist to remediate the loss, or to do an inspection to confirm there are no lingering issues in the home.
If despite all of your best attempts, you guess that there is mold in your home, it’s crucial to know what to do. In many cases, the very first indication that mold is growing somewhere in the home is odor; really, your nose knows! These are gases that are discharged into the air whenever mold is growing and digesting food resources. A very little mold can give off a great deal of odor. It is essential to locate the mold and to properly remediate the problem, and also to be sure the inherent water issue is resolved/ fixed. Again, a restoration professional is a great resource to assist in the evaluation along with the remedy. Mold should not be ignored. Hence, all indoor mold growth ought to be removed immediately, no matter what type(s) of mold is present or if it can produce toxins.” (www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/index.html) Click this link to learn more.
Often, individuals will attempt to remove small quantities of mold. A frequent instance is when mold, frequently called “mildew”, can grow on the grout of bathroom tile. Commercial cleansers designed for mold and mildew removal are usually successful in such scenarios. Obviously, the user should follow label directions, wear gloves and eye protection, and ensure there is sufficient ventilation to avoid the buildup of disagreeable vapors. It’s important to remember that such cleansers consist mostly of water (90% or more), and that moisture is the top cause of mold growth. It is thus essential to wash the area after cleaning. Even a little fan is can provide huge assistance in helping dry materials. When it’s left moist, the mold/mildew will often reappear in a very limited time.
If a substantial quantity of mold is present, or if you’re not really comfortable in dealing with the total situation, then a specialist remediation company, such as PuroClean, must be contacted to assist with analysis and remediation. Such a business may establish a containment area around the substances to prevent the spread of spores and mold to other unaffected areas of the construction. Their workers will even wear necessary Personal Protective Equipment such as gloves, impermeable coveralls, face shields, respirators, etc. Care needs to be taken to create certain the remediation is done properly, by a professional. Otherwise, it could be of no or little benefit and could potentially make the situation worse by spreading the contamination. Whenever appropriate, they might also seek input from several other technical professionals, like an indoor hygienist. And, finally, it’s essential that the inherent water problem which allowed the mold to grow in the first place is repaired. If that’s not done, then mold will almost certainly reappear.